The Forum-Nexus Student Assistantship Program provides students with an opportunity to work as student assistants for Forum-Nexus Study Abroad faculty and staff, and earn a tuition-reduction scholarship. The program typically involves 150 hours and is completed before, during, and after the summer program. Student Assistants (SAs) typically receive a tuition-reduction scholarship of $1,500.
The advantages of being accepted as an SA include:
- The opportunity to make participation in the Forum-Nexus program more affordable
- Real-world job experience working with a multicultural team of students, staff, and professors
- Participation in a leadership pre-session before the program begins
- Development of interpersonal skills, communication skills, and teamwork abilities
Depending on their skills and background, SAs may be assigned tasks such as:
- Help professors with taking attendance, printing handouts, setting up laptops and projectors, and other similar tasks
- Help FN staff with logistical tasks, such as directing students to board buses and trains; making sure that the luggage is properly labeled and sorted; helping with the weighing of luggage before flights; communicating with FN cell phones, walkie-talkies and WhatsApp; helping students get to the right classrooms at the local campuses and in the conference centers of the hotels; etc.
- Make morning wake-up calls
- Assist students with local information about cultural activities in each city, recommended restaurants, location of laundromats, public transportation tips, etc.
In order to apply for a Forum-Nexus Student Assistantship, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be accepted into one of our Forum-Nexus Summer Programs, in the main session (not an intensive session).
- Be currently enrolled at a college or university
- Maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) equivalent to 2.8 or higher
- Financial need will be taken into account as well
The following materials are required:
- Assistantship Application
- Assistantship Essay
- Letter of Recommendation*
- Transcript (submitted via email)
*Your letter of recommendation should come from a professor, coach, advisor, supervisor, or colleague. They must email the letter directly to email@example.com on your behalf.
When all of the above required Student Assistantship application materials have been submitted, a Forum-Nexus staff member will reach out to you to schedule a video interview via Skype or Google Hangout.
After your interview has taken place, you will be notified as to whether or not you have been accepted as an SA within about ten days.
Submit application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Student Assistantship Application”
If you have any questions about the application, please contact us.