The Forum-Nexus Student Assistantship Program provides students with an opportunity to work as student assistants for Forum-Nexus Study Abroad faculty and staff, and earn a tuition-reduction scholarship. The program involves 150 hours and is completed in five European countries, as part of the one-month itinerary of the Forum Europe Summer Program in the month of July. Student Assistants (SAs) receive a tuition-reduction scholarship of $1,500.
The advantages of being accepted as an SA include:
- The opportunity to make participation in the Forum-Nexus program more affordable
- Interaction with experienced faculty and staff; learn from them, complete all tasks in a timely manner, and quite likely secure a letter of recommendation in the future
- Real-world job experience working with a multi-cultural team
- Being part of a team of bright and motivated SAs from around the world
- Development of inter-personal skills, communication skills, and teamwork
Depending on their skills and background, SAs may be assigned to help with tasks related to the overall management of the program, such as:
- Help professors with taking attendance, printing handouts, setting up laptops and projectors, and other similar tasks
- Help FN staff with logistical tasks, such as directing students to board buses and trains; making sure that the luggage is properly labeled and sorted; helping with the weighing of luggage before flights; communicating with FN cell phones, walkie-talkies and WhatsApp; helping students get to the right classrooms at the local campuses and in the conference centers of the hotels; etc.
- Make morning wake-up calls
- Help monitor proper student behavior in the hotel rooms, during professional visits, on campus, etc.
- Assist students with local information about cultural activities in each city, recommended restaurants, location of laundromats, public transportation tips, etc.
- Help make sure that students remove all items from the buses after an intercity trip or a professional visit
- Help organize group outings and group activities, such as museum visits or weekend trips
Forum-Nexus SAs are expected to:
- Perform their tasks in a professional manner
- Be reliable and prompt in the performance of assigned tasks at the assigned time
- Maintain an excellent working relationship with other SAs and with FN faculty and staff
- Be friendly, courteous, and helpful with the students
- Deliver any duties with cheerfulness, friendliness, and a positive attitude
- Avoid any instance of behaving in a rude or stern manner, raising your voice, or being confrontational. Any situation, including delicate or difficult ones, should be handled in a calm and professional way. The Forum-Nexus spirit should be maintained at all times: we are a community of friends, we are like family, we respect each other, we are committed to learning during the program, to supporting each other, to exploring the world, and to having a great time!
- Maintain confidentiality of any information they may have access to as part of their job
- Applicants must be accepted into the Forum Europe Summer Program, Session A1.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Financial need will be taken into account
There are 4 items that you must submit in order to apply to the Forum-Nexus Student Assistantship Program. The application will be forwarded to our review committee for evaluation once all materials have been received. You will then be asked to participate in a Skype or Google Hangout video interview with a Forum-Nexus staff member.
Once the interview has taken place, you will be notified as to whether or not you have been accepted as an SA within about ten days.
The 4 required items are:
- Application Form
- A letter of recommendation
- A recent transcript
Once the above required Student Assistantship application materials have been submitted, a Forum-Nexus staff member will reach out to you to schedule your video interview.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (305) 764-2243.