About FN Student Assistantships
The Forum-Nexus Student Assistantship Program is a work-study opportunity that provides students with real-world experience and a tuition-reduction study abroad scholarship. The assistantship hours are completed before, during, and after the summer program. Student Assistants (SAs) receive a tuition-reduction study abroad scholarship toward the Forum-Nexus program that they have enrolled in.
Assistantship scholarships range from $500 - $3,000. The number of hours is proportional to the awarded scholarship amount. For example, a scholarship of $1,000 would involve 100 hours.
The advantages of being accepted as an SA include:
- The opportunity to make participation in the Forum-Nexus program more affordable
- Real-world job experience working with a multicultural team of students, staff, and professors
- Participation in a leadership pre-session before the program begins
- Development of interpersonal skills, communication skills, and teamwork abilities
Depending on their skills and background, SAs may be assigned tasks such as:
- Help professors with taking attendance, printing handouts, setting up laptops and projectors, and other similar tasks
- Help FN staff with logistical tasks, such as directing students to board buses and trains; making sure that the luggage is properly labeled and sorted; helping with the weighing of luggage before flights; communicating with FN cell phones, walkie-talkies and WhatsApp; helping students get to the right classrooms at the local campuses and in the conference centers of the hotels; etc.
- Make morning wake-up calls
- Assist students with local information about cultural activities in each city, recommended restaurants, location of laundromats, public transportation tips, etc.
Assistantships Available for Summer 2021
Need-Based Student Assistantships
Our need-based assistantships are awarded to students who have strong academic and leadership profiles and receive financial aid regularly at their home institution.
Diversity Student Assistantships
The purpose of these scholarship opportunities is to encourage the participation in Forum-Nexus programs of students who identify with underrepresented groups in study abroad.
- Assistantships for African American Students
- Assistantships for Hispanic Students
- Assistantships for Asian American Students
- Assistantships for Native American Students
- Assistantships for Veterans
- Assistantships for LGBTQ Students
- Assistantships for International Students Studying in the U.S.
- Assistantships for First Generation College Students
In order to apply for a Forum-Nexus Student Assistantship, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be accepted into one of our Forum-Nexus summer programs, in the main session (not an intensive session).
- Be currently enrolled at a college or university in the U.S. or another country
- Maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) equivalent to 3.0 or higher
- Demonstrate financial need
The following materials are required:
- Assistantship Application Form
- Assistantship Essay
- Letter of Recommendation*
- Transcript (unofficial, submitted via email)
- Need-based assistantship applicants must also submit a financial aid award letter or their Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA
January 2021 Application Period
Application deadline: January 31
Award notification: February 15
Submit application materials to email@example.com with the subject line, “Student Assistantship Application”
*Your letter of recommendation should come from a professor, coach, advisor, supervisor, or colleague. They must email the letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org on your behalf.
When all of the above required Student Assistantship application materials have been submitted, a Forum-Nexus staff member will reach out to you to schedule a video interview via Skype or Google Hangout.
After your interview has taken place, you will be notified as to whether or not you have been accepted as an SA within about ten days.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact us.
A student may only apply once. Applications will not be considered until all application materials have been submitted via email to email@example.com. All application materials must be submitted by midnight EST on the deadline date.
Assistantship award recipients are chosen by the FN Scholarship Committee and its decisions are based on a combination of financial need, academic achievements, demonstration of leadership qualities, and motivation, as expressed in the assistantship application materials. Forum-Nexus Study Abroad does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, nationality, disability, or religion.
Award notification will be made via email. Assistantship recipients are expected to maintain their GPA after the scholarship has been awarded, and to complete the number of hours designated as proportional to their award. Assistantship scholarships are only available for use on Forum-Nexus summer programs.