Travel, live, and study with top students from all over the world
Earn up to 9 credits transferable to your college or university
Attend professional visits at leading Asian companies and international organizations
Take classes and learn from experienced and friendly multilingual professors
Be a tourist
Visit world-class museums, historical sites, and architectural landmarks
Increase your Intl. IQ
Increase your international IQ and gain valuable international experience
Select from a wide variety of courses in the following tracks:
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Environmental Studies
- Hospitality Management
- International Accounting and Finance
- International Business and Management
- International Marketing
- Journalism and Mass Media
- Luxury Goods and the Fashion Industry
- Political Science and International Studies
- Science, Engineering, and Technology
- Social Work
- Sociology and Cultural Studies
- Travel Photography and Filmmaking
- Urban Planning
Itinerary (Main Session)
June 3 - 10
|Opening Session + orientation||June 3|
|Classes + professional visit||June 4|
|Classes + free afternoon||June 5|
|Classes + professional visit||June 6|
|Classes + free afternoon||June 7|
|Free day for independent sightseeing
Optional FN Day Trip to Kyoto***
|Free day for independent sightseeing||June 9|
|Independent Weekend Excursion to Taipei (Taiwan) or Beijing (China)**||June 7-9|
June 10 - 16
|Flight from Tokyo (or from weekend excursion city) to Hong Kong||June 10|
|Classes + professional visit||June 11|
|Classes + professional visit||June 12|
|Classes + free afternoon||June 13|
|Classes (midterm exams) + free afternoon||June 14|
|Free day for independent sightseeing
Independent Weekend Day Trip to Macao*
|Independent Weekend Excursion to Shanghai (China) or Guangzhou (China)**||June 14-16|
June 16 - 22
|Flight from Hong Kong (or from weekend excursion city) to Bangkok||June 16|
|Classes + free afternoon||June 17|
|Classes + professional visit||June 18|
|Classes + free afternoon||June 19|
|Classes + professional visit||June 20|
|Classes + free afternoon||June 21|
|Independent Weekend Excursion to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)**||June 21-23|
June 22 - 27
|Flight from Bangkok to the island of Koh Samui
If you are taking a weekend excursion, you may fly to Koh Samui on Sunday, June 23
|Free day for independent sightseeing||June 23|
|Classes + free afternoon||June 24|
|Classes (final exams) + free afternoon||June 25|
|Classes (project presentations) + free afternoon||June 26|
|Flights home||June 27 at any time|
* Independent Weekend Day Trip Optional independent day trip organized by students
** Independent Weekend Excursion Optional independent weekend excursions organized by students
*** Optional FN Day Trip Optional day trip organized by Forum-Nexus
June 3 - 10
As a student with Forum-Nexus, you will arrive to Tokyo’s Narita International Airport (NRT) in the afternoon on June 3, where you will be received by Forum-Nexus (FN) staff members who will coordinate your transfer to the hotel. An orientation program will take place that evening.
While in Tokyo, you will have the chance to observe a mix of modern skyscrapers and ancient temples, experience the culture and cuisine, and attend professional visits at leading companies and organizations. Tokyo is the capital of Japan and host to the upcoming 2020 Olympics.
Over the weekend, you have the flexibility to travel to another city/country on an independent weekend trip or excursion. On Saturday, there will be an Optional FN Day Trip to Kyoto, the former capital of Japan, famous for its beautiful temples and gardens. The suggested cities for an overnight Independent Weekend Excursions are Taipei (Taiwan) or Beijing (China).
If you are planning independent travel over the weekend, we recommend that you fly to your destination on Friday evening and then either return to Tokyo on Sunday night, or fly directly to Hong Kong on Monday morning.
June 10 - 16
From Tokyo we fly to Hong Kong, a territory that was formerly a colony of the British Empire before becoming an autonomous region of China. Hong Kong is an important center for trade, finance, and business, and boasts the most skyscrapers in the world!
During the week, you will take classes in the morning and spend your afternoons exploring the city and its dynamic landscape, or participating in a professional visit to a leading international organization.
On Saturday, we recommend an Independent Weekend Day Trip Macau, an autonomous territory known for its Old Town and Portuguese influences. The suggested cities for Independent Weekend Excursions are Shanghai and Guangzhou, both in China.
On Sunday, we fly from Hong Kong to Bangkok. If you are planning independent travel over the weekend, we recommend that you fly to your destination on Friday evening and then to Bangkok on Sunday.
June 16 - 22
From Hong Kong we fly to Bangkok, the capital of Thailand. Bangkok is full of rich experiences, from the palaces and temples, to the delicious cuisine, to the vibrant markets. Upon arrival, we recommend spending Sunday afternoon at the famous Chatuchak Weekend Market.
While in Bangkok, you will participate in two professional visits to prominent multinational corporations. Classes will be held in the hotel’s conference center.
On Saturday, we take a short flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui, one of Thailand’s most visited islands.
The suggested cities for Independent Weekend Excursions are Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. If you are planning independent travel over the weekend, we recommend that you fly to your destination on Friday evening and then to Koh Samui on Sunday.
June 22 - 27
Our final destination is the Thai island of Koh Samui, known for its beautiful palm-fringed beaches surrounded by coconut groves and mountainous rainforest. We fly from Bangkok to Koh Samui on Saturday morning.
Over the weekend, you will have free time for independent sightseeing. You may choose to visit ancient temples, experience the beautiful beaches, or spend the day island-hopping to explore the various landscapes nearby.
Classes will be held in the hotel conference center. At the end of the program, there will be a festive farewell dinner and diploma ceremony featuring traditional food and music. You may fly home or to your next destination at any time on June 27.
Session Number: A1
Dates: June 3 - June 27, 2019
Cities included: Tokyo, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Koh Samui
Tokyo to Koh Samui: 4 Cities in 3.5 Weeks
- Students enroll in either 6 or 9 credits
- All students must enroll in the International IQ Seminar (3 credits), plus 1 or 2 additional courses
- At least one 3-credit course must be selected from Course List #1 - Regular Courses (Section 01 or Section 03)
- An additional 3-credit course may be selected from either:
- Course List #1 - Regular Courses (Section 01 or Section 03)
- Course List #2 - Supervised Independent Study courses and Internships: In order to enroll in a Supervised Independent Study course or in an Internship, students must fill out the corresponding application forms and be accepted
The full description for the intensive sessions is presented in the next section.
Intensive Sessions (2.5 and 3 weeks)
We offer three types of courses: Regular courses, Supervised Independent Study (SIS) courses, and Internships. You may enroll in one or two regular courses, or a combination of a regular course and an SIS course or an internship. All students participate in the International IQ Seminar course.
Classes for the regular courses are conducted on weekday mornings, either at a local campus or in the conference center of the hotel. The professor for each course travels with the group from city to city. Each regular course (section 01 and section 03 courses) is worth 3 credits. All students participate in the International IQ Seminar, conducted by Dr. Hugo Hervitz, which is worth 3 credits and provides an overview of history, geography, language, and politics in Asia.
- Section 01 classes are held from 9:00 a.m. - 10:35 a.m.
- Section 02 International IQ Seminar from 10:40 a.m. - 11:40 a.m.
- Section 03 classes are held from 11:45 a.m. - 1:20 p.m.
Supervised Independent Study (SIS) Courses
Students enrolled in a Supervised Independent Study (SIS) course pursue structured independent work, following a well-defined syllabus, under the supervision of one or two faculty members. Each SIS course is worth 3 credits.
Not every student is permitted to enroll in an SIS course. Interested students must fill-out the SIS Course Request Form justifying their suitability for the course and their ability to conduct independent work. Students enrolled in an SIS course are required to also enroll in a regular 3-credit course.
International IQ Seminar
One of the highlights of Forum-Nexus programs is the emphasis placed on acquiring a higher level of International IQ, or the minimum level of international knowledge a student should have in order to present themselves as a cultured and educated individual in an international setting.
All students participate in the International IQ Seminar, conducted by Dr. Hugo Hervitz, which is worth 3 credits and includes:
- Essential Asian geography and history
- Current international events
- Cultural characteristics of the Asian countries
- Familiarity with the pronunciation and basics of Chinese, Japanese, and Thai
The Forum-Nexus Internship Program provides students with an opportunity to gain valuable academic and professional experience while earning 3 credits for their experience. There are a limited number of openings. There are internships available in Communication, Hospitality Management, Marketing, Management, and Photography & Videography. Students enrolled in an internship course are required to also enroll in a regular 3-credit course.FN Internship Program
Participants in the Forum-Nexus program are interested in a wide variety of disciplines and subjects. In order to facilitate their choice of courses, students can select one of 9 concentrations, and then select a specific track within the concentration.Courses, Concentrations, and Tracks
The program is suitable for students in all majors. In particular, students in the following fields will find one or more Forum-Nexus courses that are valuable for their majors:
- Art History
- Business Administration
- Environmental Studies
- European Studies
- Health Sciences
- Hospitality Management
- International Business
- International Relations
- International Studies
- Political Science
- Religious Studies
- Science and Technology
- Social Work
- Urban Planning
You may enroll at the undergraduate or graduate level, based on your qualifications.
Franklin University Switzerland
A prestigious liberal arts university accredited both in the U.S. (Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools) and in Switzerland (Swiss University Conference).
All transcripts will be issued by Franklin University Switzerland.Credit Transfer
All classes and professional visits are conducted in English
One of the things that makes Forum-Nexus unique is the emphasis placed on professional experiences and networking opportunities.
Professional visits take place throughout the program, usually in the afternoon, at leading companies and international organizations. Most visits include detailed discussions with executives, followed by a tour of the facilities.
All students participate in 6 professional visits.Professional Visits
Independent Cultural Visits
In addition to visiting global companies and organizations, it’s a priority for Forum-Nexus students to make the most of their time in each city and country by participating in Independent Cultural Visits (ICVs). These visits may include experiences at historical sites and landmarks, museums, art galleries, traditional music or dance performances, and culturally relevant events.
All students participate in at least 8 ICVs.
Optional FN Day Trips and Independent Weekend Excursions
On Saturdays and Sundays, you may elect to spend free time exploring the FN city that we are in, or you may choose to travel to another city for a day or for the entire weekend.
An Independent Weekend Day Trip is organized by students and involves traveling to and from the base FN city in the same day, to visit a nearby destination.
An Independent Weekend Excursion is an overnight trip to another city/country during a weekend. It involves leaving Friday evening or Saturday morning, and in most cases, returning to the FN city on Sunday evening for classes on Monday.
We will provide you with recommended itineraries and activities in each of our suggested destinations, but you may choose to enjoy the weekend however you’d prefer. Below are our suggested destinations:
Weekend 1: Tokyo
- Saturday, June 8 - Optional FN Day Trip to Kyoto
This trip is organized by Forum-Nexus. You will have the opportunity to sign up closer to the start of the program.
- June 7 - 9 - Independent Weekend Excursion to Beijing (China)* or Taipei (Taiwan)
Departing Tokyo Friday evening via flight
Returning to Tokyo Sunday evening via flight, or flying directly to Hong Kong on Monday morning, June 10th
Weekend 2: Hong Kong
- Saturday, June 15 - Independent Weekend Day Trip to Macao
Departing Hong Kong Saturday morning via ferry
Returning to Hong Kong Saturday evening via ferry
- June 14 - 16 - Independent Weekend Excursion to Shanghai (China)* or Guangzhou (China)*
Departing Hong Kong Friday evening via flight
Returning to Bangkok Sunday evening via flight
Weekend 3: Bangkok/Koh Samui
- Saturday, June 22 - The main group will travel from Bangkok to Koh Samui on Saturday via flight
- June 21 - 23 - Independent Weekend Excursion to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
Departing Bangkok Friday evening via flight
Returning to Koh Samui Sunday evening via flight
We encourage you to take maximum advantage of your free time in Asia. In many cases, this will be achieved through group activities with all Forum-Nexus students, but at other times you will enjoy the company of a smaller number of friends sharing specific interests. In order to facilitate this process, we encourage the formation of the following clubs:
- Fitness and Running Club - For active students wishing to explore each city by running before class in the mornings, hiking (where applicable), and staying fit while studying abroad.
- Photography Club - For photography majors and students who just love to take pictures, this club will meet to explore each city together to take photos of unique neighborhoods, cityscapes, mountains, and forests.
- Art and History Club - This club is ideal for students who would like to spend time exploring the amazing wealth of museums, temples, and historical sites in each of the Asian cities visited.
- Food Club - Students in the food club will enjoy visiting authentic and unique restaurants in each city, sampling the local cuisine as well as the gastronomic contribution of immigrant groups in each country.
- Music and Dancing Club - For students who have an appreciation for music and love to dance, this club may explore each city by attending concerts, listening to live music, learning about local dances in each city, and visiting the most popular venues.
Forum-Nexus is the facilitator of the clubs, but the initiative comes from the students themselves, usually starting via our private Facebook group 1-2 months before the start of the program.
Complete an online application free of charge here. Admission is on a rolling basis and you are encouraged to apply as early as possible. There is no application fee.
Within two weeks of receiving an official acceptance notification, a $650 confirmation deposit is due. The deposit is applied to the overall program fees and it is refundable if you withdraw before March 31, 2019. As a recipient of our October Early Bird Discount, your remaining balance must be paid before February 28, 2019. Payment extensions are available by request.Apply now! More Information
The table below provides the overall program fees, including tuition, for the various sessions of the summer Asia 2019 program.
Students can enjoy a substantial discount by participating in our Early Bird Discount program.
You now qualify for the October Early Bird Discount which entails a discount of $1,200 if you apply before October 31, 2018. The table below provides the overall program fees, including tuition, for the various sessions for the October Early Bird Discount.Payment Options
- Tuition for two or three courses (6 or 9 credits)
- Flights within Asia during the program*
- Accommodation in 4-star hotels
- Buffet breakfast in all hotels
- Professional visits
- Health insurance
- Welcome reception
- Farewell dinner
* You do have the option to deviate from the Forum-Nexus flights over each weekend, if you wish to participate in an Independent Weekend Excursion. In that case, you may fly directly from your weekend excursion to the next FN city.
The following items are not included:
- Round trip ticket to Asia: You are responsible for booking your flight to the first city in the program (usually Tokyo), and your flight home from the last city (usually Koh Samui). From the U.S., the average cost is about $1,900.
- Meals other than breakfast: the estimated cost is $30-35 per day.
- Optional FN Day Trips
- Independent Weekend Day Trips or Excursions